Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Maths textbook I wanted to get.... .

. Numerical and logical thinking play a part in each of these everyday activities, and in many others. A good understanding of maths in everyday life is essential for making sense of all the numbers and problems life throws at us.

My knowledge of Mathematics I made use reckoning blogs  authored by me since 17 th Oct 2015 till today...almost after  360 days. .this blog being the 80th....and pageviews exceeding 18100....so far.That is statistics...

In Astronomy I  came across study of  celestial objects ..study about sun,moon,,earth,stars,meteors,etc....we come across eclipses,equinoxes,milky way,galaxy of Stars,etc During my BSC  Degree course came across Pythagorean theorem,hyperbola,parabola,circles,Dynamics,Statics,Statistics,Probability theory,Vector Algebra,Co ordinate Geometry,etc. I was good  in Integral Calculus,Differential Calculus and Differential Equations....Later I learnt a little about Actuary while working with an insurance company after retirement.But I feel I am yet a zero in Mathematics....desired to master Maths but turned out to be a zero ..

I hear my granddaughter singing....

Here are nine planets that we know.
Round and round the Sun they go.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars,
These are the planets near our star.

Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, too.
Neptune, Pluto, we can't see you.
These are the nine planets that we know.
Round and round the Sun they go.

It was during my admission in PUC class  at St Joseph"s College,Bangalore in 1963,I came to learn about Algebra,Trigonometry,Geometry,etc and came to know the vast scope of Mathematics .

This is an e mail sent to my college fruebds....

Dear friends....Sorry for troubling you all...I remember there was one Text Book of Mathematics prescribed for PUC during our time...published by St Joseph"s College,Bangalore..I think..It contained Algebra,Geometry and Trigonometry...I used to have it..and bring it to class daily..There were worked out examples...and simple  or complex equations....like a to the power x multiplied by a to  the power  y will  be a to the power  of x plus y...or Log ab equals Loga plus log b. and similar ones...b or Sin(A+B)=SinACosB+CosASinB. Etc..I am recollecting from my memory after 4 decades...I did not get sufficient time to  study and master all the material contained in the Book then..If someone in Bangalore or Maths Lecturer Lakshmana Rao would be able to get a copy of that book or the place Where it will be available,I would be glad to get it..Sorry,if it is difficult,forget about it....I mean difficult to get it...Thank you...

I reproduce a letter of confession written to one of my well-wishers...a software genius....

My latest blog comments or subsequent blog would have been read by you .You can know my position.of thinking... .one who wishes for good of all others.Of course, I am frank,blunt and forthright  in expression and sympathetic towards whole world. Being blunt and frank,I have earned   a bad name among  some of them in the family, .despite being sympathetic,loving and adjustable .

I have not seen you and have not spoken to you. I am neither  a psychiatrist nor  any physician ,but  a human being  and have been able to know you ……...

I know you are busy with your  Official work,domestic commitments, personal pre occupations, etc and  I have still used your valuable time now and then to make you get mingled in mundane matters  presented by me  through network  enabling you forget  a part of your Google search or any other search  engines.I confess I express more than what I know in various subjects.In Physics Degree Answer papers, I used to  copy down the question papers in the middle of answers ...so that the quantity of answer papers got increased. . getting some grace marks to scrape through..the exam.I got short sight or myopia of eyes, while studying  in High school  .I could not see what  was  written on Blackboard  Properly …...Archimedes Principle,.Pythagoras theorem, Valency , Geometry  theorems,riders,etc  I  got  my eyes checked  at  Bowring and   Lady Curzon  Hospital near Shivajinagar,Bangalore .I remember my father coming with me there for getting eyes dilated,tested,etc I .Started wearing  spectacles while in PUC. .at the end of academic year..Here also I used to sit on the bench  near the blackboard  in classrooms at St Joseph”S College,,but could not see and follow  fully all working on the board. The subjects were ,  Algebra,Geometry,Trigonometry, Chemistry, Physics... etc... this prevented me  from  acquiring knowledge and  scoring high marks in SSLC,PUC,.and getting admission to study Engineering.. Or Medicine .It was my father’s  desire that  I studied Medicine or completed IAS. Fate decided otherwise. Biology was found difficult to study from books  and memorise, Mathematics became  easy to learn  by scribbling ,writing ..alpha,beta,Gamma, numerals,alphabets all on floors,walls and waste paper..  My father got  me admission in St Joseph’s College with  less marks in SSLC... .After BSC, I wanted to  master Mathematics and specialize in Actuary...Younger brother was studying Medicine and elder Engineering.   and the middleman had to search  employment   which I got  before my BSc results were announced  in 1967 and  tried to help the family .

Despite restrictions and control at home,I used  my liberty in knowing about human physiology,medicines,etc. through books,media,web,etc  although it is stated self medication is not good.You know there is an etiquette in Medical profession. .nearest blood relations should not treat their relations. as such none of my people ever enquire about my health. My wife who is not a Physician but my companion only says .’’you are alright. .nothing is wrong with you... taking food 4 times a day and sleeping ‘’ So she is my family Doctor ... of course I take care of her. .she doesn't know  even names of medicines she has to take daily,.  the  composition,etc.. She complains to everyone I stock a lot  of medicines ,take them unnecessarily,etc...

So that is part of Mathematics of my life.....

No comments: