Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2015

My reminiscences... Bihar...

Mr Ekambaram Dakshina,,,,Probably we both worked at Bharathiyar University Branch...and Jamshedpur or Bistupur Branch , Bihar Region or Zone ..and enjoyed such precious postings. I think I came to your Dept Coimbatore Region during Inspection and Audit work of the Office...so you may recollect me...I have heard of your Branch Simaria ... I don't know if it was a hardship centre or whatever they used to call.. I have heard of similar Branches like Patratu,etc, where one of my friends Mr. Ganesan and others like Kalayanaraman, Parthasarathy, Sridhar,etc,, were there. I have heard some Managers were threatened to be put behind bars by the Local BDO or CO for not sanctioning loans recommended by them. It is good you recollect what happened almost four decades back..and In try to recollect . I too had opportunity to work in Jamshedpur Br and Adityapur Industrial Esrtate Branch...1977 onwards. While working at Adityapur Ind Estatae Br I remember to have received my transfer orders posting me as Manager at Majhgaon Branch Singhbhum Dist being opened in June 1978. Incidentally I was returning home for first delivery of my wife and on receipt of the transfer order I was not allowed to go home but asked to join duty as Manager at Majhgaon I spoke to then Regional Manger Sri A. K Raghavan over telephone who turned down my request and asked me to proceed to Majhgain take charge of the Branch.. telling it was a golden opportunity for you to be Manager of a Branch etc. You too might have heard about the name of this Branch. Majhgaon Singhbhum Dist....It is in Jharkhand tribal unbanked area. Here also I had good experiences in opening large number of accounts of illiterate people , seeing large number of good customers, lending to a alrge section of the population, etc . It was after my joining duty I used to receive large number of IRDP applications from the Block Office nearby. The Branch was housed in the Block building.. There were Government sponsored programmes...like IRDP.. in English it was told to be Integrated Rural Development Programme. But people thre used to mention casually in Hindi IRDP meant.... Isme Rupaya Dena hi Padega....which meant Cash disbursement was necessary in the loans or so... I remember financing large number of people for sheep rearing goat rearing, diary. etc and paying cash to the sellers of the cattle at some shandy. ..market where I used to go with cash / cashier and papers . But Ihave heard the total number of cattle financed under the schemes exceeding the cattle population of the state. It was a good arrangement by the then ruling Government...pumping out Bank"s money for the welfare of people. Of curse I couldnot think of introducing any novel schemes as you did. as being new could not move freely with the BDO etc...whom the people treated as Sub Collector or so.. There were difficulties such as no accommodation was provided to me, and I was alone living a bachelor"s life ...cooking, eating and doing only Bank"s work. But I remember after one year when my wife returned to Bihar from Theni, Tamilnadu with the child, my son ,whom I saw just then, she had to be given some home worlk.As we had a large number of Sericulture Agriculture accounts and we had no calculators, computers, but ledgers in which we had to post interest periodically. She was given the work of posting interest in each ledger folio as otherwise you know the staff shortage as I had only one cashier, clerk,, every other designation B at the Branch ..but work used to be new learning everything about advances,establishment.cash management,, balance sheet Audit. staff discipline, ,etc. and bieng in not in touch with the outside worlld as we had no communicaion facilities...Majhgaon was cut off from Chaibasa the nearest urban centre,,, far away from Tatanagar...say around 4 hours journey from Majhgaon to Jamshedpur..... ..it was in jungle, forest area, no electricity, no bus service, no post Office ,no Doctor,no Medical shop ,etc but Bank the BDO Office and the good tribal people..who spoke either Hindi or Adhivasi Language but allowed us learn their language , custom.culture etc. I used to get Hindu news paper from Madras by post 5 days later... Mr Ekambaram sorry if I wrote all these in a hurry but is spontaneous and there may be data errors ,spelling mistakes, etc etc. But in Bihar Government schemes have done much for the welfare of the people and for highlighting the achievements of the Governments from time to time. An advantage which We got by being in Bihar.. was.... my wife who knew only Tamil could learn fluent Hindi from being there and also speaks Hindi well with all except with me......and my son used to be called a Bihari as he too was proficient in the language of Bihar. Those ways good days...life was enjoyable, cheap, enterprising. and promising Please narrate many more such good things..I might have forgotten as years have elapsed thereafer .Ofcourse as Sri Gopalakrishnan Narayanan says why to criticise Government schemes...we could not have financed any others on large scales without Government Sponsored schemes as Government was in touch with the people and knew their pulse and brought them to us  for financial help.. It was a Government of the people, for the people, by the people and to the people ,,and we were a part of the governing system . Thank you
Mr Vijayaraghavan: It is not only that I know you; I know your flat in Thiruvanmiyur near Marundeeswarar temple. I like your comments.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: